Thursday, April 2, 2009

English isn't english anymore...

Yesterday, a friend pinged me on messenger and said "hru?". And then after giving it a long thought, i knew that i was supposed to understand this as a "how are you?". I told her about the assessment test that i am going to have in next week for five hours and she said "OMG !!!" Again i blanked out for moments and then realized that it was "Oh My God !!!"

While we were having the conversation, i felt that i was playing some weird code game. It wasn't english for sure !

My dad has been an english teacher for more than 30 years and I have tried to learn alot from him about the language. May be that's why i feel compelled to think about it. If somebody talks to him in this manner, he will probably swear all the english names he knows at him ( they are plenty and they won't be in short forms !)

"FYI" or "PFA" or "FYR" or "OOO" "GOTCHA". What's with all these shortforms ? Before we know, these codes will become words which most of us will use while talking to each other (like "I was triple O at that time" or "It's just an "FYI" or "I was WFH" ).

Words are also getting shorter along with keypads it seems.

If this is how the language is evolving, then i will take pleasure to be a primitive caveman.

P.S. If you don't know any of the short forms used, don't worry, it will get you.

4 comments:

  1. :) apart from frequent FYI, WFH i hardly know anything else here :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true. I guess I too belong to your caveman category then...I dislike the short forms very much but i guess i am guilty of using them in desperate cases

    ReplyDelete
  3. ttul, bfn, cya, brb.... these might add to your list.
    i personally like to use such words bcoz it saves my time and conveys the same meaning [:)]

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are still in the age of cavemen in cyberworld :). As cyberworld evolves, we may go back to how language started - speech and not written text. So we may find ourselves speaking more in the cyberworld, as speech technologies improve - and these acronyms may be done away with.

    ReplyDelete